‘Leap and the net will appear’
(John Burroughs 1837 – 1921)
If your fear holds you back, what are you afraid of? Things you might be afraid of:
- The responsibility of success?
- The attention it may bring?
- The envy from others, imagined or real?
- Shame (You will be seen for what you truly are… How do you feel about what you are?!)
- Loss. But if you lose eveything, will you still have you?
Believe it or not, when I was a kid I often didn’t know it, when I was afraid! …I went to a co-counselling workshop in 1996 run by a woman called Margot. The workshop was called ‘Fear’. I think I only went along because I had a spare afternoon, so I wasn’t really expecting much to happen for me. My main pre-occupations were my lack of confidence, my embarrassment about getting intimate with people, my tendency to be spiky or impatient with people who pissed me off, my… (Well, I won’t go through the whole list here.) The thing is, I didn’t really think I had much fear.